I wanna be a book but I was born a person, so I'll settle for an internet poet instead.
"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."
- Augusten Burroughs
My writing is split into categories below. If you want to read them uncategorized, they're all available under the writing tag. Enjoy!
wanna be the “please escort yourself out of the room” kind of brave. wanna be told to stay quiet. wanna have a voice so loud the floorboards shudder with the sound. wanna be elbowing, shouldering, ribcaging, forearming, headbutting. wanna be the friend on facebook who you’re a little embarrassed of for never shutting up about the shit i believe in. wanna be that kind of mad, so mad i won’t stop being mad for the rest of my life, brows furrowed arms tensed shoulders flexed, body poised to strike always. be buried with all my muscles contracted, the epitome of “died fighting.” do i have to make everything an argument? have to go through life angry like this? yes, i say. yes, they are as much a part of me as my bones and skin. i just gotta find a way to be proud of the way they look.
9:10 PM; 8/19/14
When your classmates wrinkled their noses at the scent of your lunch still lingering on your clothes,
Even though their ancestors had conquered half the world in search of the spices you ate.
How they jeered at your mother’s bindi, making crude jokes about how ridiculous it looked on her,
And after ten years, how they all wore the exact same ornament on their own foreheads to keep up with the current trends.
When they repeatedly stumbled over the sharp letters which formed your name, forcing you to repeat yourself several times before giving up;
Only to have those very letters tattooed on their own flesh, in a language they do not comprehend.
Your culture belongs to you,
Not to them.
Muneeb Hasan [08.10.14] (via muneebb)
- Donate money to have those arrested in Ferguson released on bail. These people belong on the streets, especially at a time like this.
- Send a note of condolence to the family of Michael Brown. Let’s not forget the tragedy that started this.
- Donate to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund. This is an official fundraiser run by the Brown family’s lawyers. They are going through so much, lets make sure at the very least it isn’t a financial burden.
- Help get people on the ground. There are activists and reporters who want to do their part and get to Ferguson. Donate and get them there. I am so far aware of Zellie Imani, Zak Jemmott, and JR Valrey (a reporter for SF Bay View).
- Donate to the Ferguson Youth Initiative.The children of this community deserve better than to be gunned down. Make sure they get that in the future.
- Feed the children of Ferguson. Many children in America rely on school to get their meals and thanks to the civil unrest caused by the police, the children of Ferguson have been without school since Monday. These people want to make sure that doesn’t mean anyone is going hungry.
- Find a National Moment of Silence in your area. If one doesn’t exist, start one. Share this experience with others. Solidarity is important.
- Keep awareness up. Not just among the like-minded people on tumblr, this is something everyone needs to be aware of.
- Spread accurate information. There is a lot of distortion going on here and spreading every piece of information as it is reported only makes that worse. First and foremost make sure you are listening carefully, then share what is important and relevant.
If you are aware of any good causes or ways to help that I have missed, please reblog and add them.
SIX WORD STORY #31 — 3:57 AM; 8/17/14
you can’t be free when your loneliness resides in this notion that what other people think of you has an impact on your self-worth. finding your family of people is something that is difficult to do but when it happens, it happens. what a human feeling to feel so heartbreakingly lonely despite all the people around you. it makes walking down streets hard, doesn’t it. we’ve all been there, have felt the boundaries of skin so tangibly. yeah it’s all we know sometimes. this year was the first year in which I began to question who is good for me and who is not, and who leaves me feeling satisfied and who makes me feel so alone, no matter how close, no matter how fucking close. keep looking. keep looking, friend. you will find it. don’t let your loneliness keep you from being unable to look people in the eye. it’s so human to feel what you’re feeling. it’s so human to admit to loneliness. get off the computer for a while. sit somewhere you’re fond of and drink a cup of something warm slowly. let it fill your mouth. wear what makes you feel the most you. smile at strangers, laugh when you slip up and drop the quarters that you’re trying to give to the guy at the coffee shop. say thank you and smile like you’ve never been more grateful for that cuppa. loneliness is the most human condition. confront it. try to understand it. meet new people. meet old people in new settings. and then say fuck it, and let yourself live.
Gymnopédie No. 1
there are avenues i have marched from which we cannot speak to each other. our cries get lost in the air space in-between, crashing into voices of passersby and their yapping dogs. for you, i am too far ahead. for me, you are too far behind. there are crosswalks i have ambled through from which we can no longer hear each other. i see you, with your young, brown, oval eyes, and i know that i cannot return from the way i’ve come. my hand reaches out from amid the masses. there are streets i have gone down from which we cannot meet again. and i cannot come back, and if you cannot come too, then i can’t wait here for you. no, i won’t. i’ve not yet reached my destination. i think it’s time we part ways. maybe, among the alleyways and backstreets, we’ll find a way to each other again. maybe not. isn’t that how people grow, anyways?
10:56 PM; 8/15/14
thank you very much. i hope you keep writing — if it’s half as lovely as you seem, it is amazing writing already. have a fantastic day yourself, friend. lots of strength and love to you.